-

1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear..."

Sunday 3 August 2014

Job 16-19 ; Journey through Job

In chapters 16 – 17, Job then goes into even more detail about comforters his friends are compared to the previous chapters I read in 12-15. Job 17:3-4(NKJV) raises an even more interesting point in saying;
            “You have closed their minds to understanding

Here we have another form wisdom and understanding when it comes to comforting a friend. I went through a period in life recently when I was trying to comfort an unsaved friend. Her grandmother was diagnosed with cervical cancer and she didn’t have long left to live. I spent time praying for her and encouraging her and assuring her of God’s plan for her life and then her grandmother died. She was confused and angry and for a split second I was too. I was so sure that God would use her grandmother’s miraculous healing to bring all of the family to him. The point I’m trying to make here is that if I couldn’t understand  why God did what He did, then how was I could I comfort her by reassuring her that God was in control, especially when she didn’t have a relationship with Him. Her mind was closed to understanding and so my words felon deaf ears.

Trying to be comforted by or comfort someone who isn’t saved is kind of like what Job is going through. If someone who is trying to comfort you is not a Christian they may not understand that alcohol won’t solve the problem like it used to, or they won’t get your need to cling closer to God in this moment. The same way, an unbeliever won’t get you if you’re telling them that God is in control and that their struggle is going to bring them closer to him. Here we seem the importance of Godly council when we’re going through hardship and also the importance of simply meeting people where they are.


My prayer in completing these chapters is kind of the same as the previous ones. That I would be quick to listen and slow to speak and that I would be an encourager. I would be someone that lived lift people up and not condemn them but met them where they were and was just real about it. 

tawo
x

No comments:

Post a Comment